From: wesley.craig@umich.edu [mailto:wesley.craig@umich.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 6:16 AM
To: ron@Opus1.COM
Cc: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: [LONG] Re: LDAP Server backups

> From:    Ron Chmara <ron@Opus1.COM>
> To:      mike.mazzolini@bankofamerica.com

> 1 master server, 2 public "slaves", one private slave. All Redhat Linux,
> various versions. The slaves all have backup scripts, as well as being
> "live" backups of the master. (Can you tell I once lost data and went down
for
> 4 hours on a 20,000 user system? :-) )

I have a question and a comments.  First, does killproc on linux wait
for the process to die?  I ask because slapd can take a long time to
write out it's data and you shouldn't run ldbmcat on a live database.
Second, our "private" slave also thinks it is a master, and so creates
a relog.  We have a cron job that saves the replog each hour for a
week.  With a weeks worth of ldifs and relogs, we can recreate the
database at any point in the week.  This offers us protection from
(possibly malicious) non-crash data corruption.

:wes