Null Valued Attributes

I'm trying to migrate from Netscape Directory server to OpenLDAP 2.0.7.
I'm having some trouble both in the data migration and in the support of
an application.

This application that takes user input from a form and creates or
modifies the user's information in LDAP.  Unfortunately this application
writes ALL attributes, including those that were left blank (null) by
the user.  OpenLDAP does not accept the Null valued attribute.

Is there a specific syntax I can use that will allow a null value to be
saved?  Can I fix this without turning off the schema checking to other
attributes?

Thanks,

Dan Cushing