ACL double check, userpassword:{SASL} and simple binds

I need to support simple bind (I assume) because of older clients that
don't have  SASL binds (like pam_ldap.so).   But on the  other hand, I
don't want sensitive information  (like the password) being changeable
with a simple bind. I have this ACL:

----- s n i p -----
access to attr=userPassword
        by dn="[MY ADMIN DN]" write
        by dn="uid=[USERNAME]" read
        by ssf=112 auth
        by ssf=128 self write
        by anonymous auth
        by self write
        by * none

Does the  'ssf' (I  found an  example of this  in the  archives, don't
understand it fully) limits the (write) access to the password? Also,
when I do this search

ldapsearch -I -b 'dc=com' -H ldaps:/// -LLL \
'(&(uid=root)(objectclass=posixAccount))' userPassword

I'll get this back (it's supposed to be '{SASL}root'):