Re: acl question

Thanks for the info.  I hadn't looked at the administrator guide because I thought that it was only for the Openldap 2.x series, but I take it the way ACL's are handled between the 2 versions hasn't changed?

Dan

Adam Shand wrote:

> I need to setup an acl where a specific user has write access to a
> particular ou and everything below it.  What I have tried to do is
> this:

acl's are parsed from most specific to least specific in two ways.  the
first "access to" that matches is the one that is used and then down the
list of "by X blah" the first one that matches is used.

> # access levels
> defaultaccess read
>
> access to * by dn="cn=manager,o=contacts.company.net" write

so this is the only acl that will be parsed because "access to *" matches
everything.  the lower acls will never be read.

read the section on acl's in the admin guide and there is a good bit in
the developers section of the faq-o-matic as well.

adam.

--
Daniell Freed
Computer Services

He who fights with monsters might take care
lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you.

Beyond Good and Evil