Setting up LDAP and SSL

I am setting up a small lab of Linux workstations which will
authenticate via
AFS. I want to use OpenLDAP for the Authorization portion of things.

Form what I understand about SSL and LDAP, it seems that it is being
used
to encrypt the transactions between the client and the server (right?).

So the questions are

1. How does one setup/test OpenLDAP to use/require SSL for searches.
        (other then simply compiling it in)

2. What is required in the client to _do_ the searches.
3. Can nss_ldap be told to use SSL for getting authorization info?

I realize that the last one is a padl list question but I put it here
just in case.

Also, SSL may be overkill for this setup but I's like to extend the use
of LDAP
later on and I'd like to get started the right way.

Thanks for any information.

--
Corey Kovacs               "I know not with what weapons World War III
Computer Science Dept.      will be fought, but World War IV will be