newbie question

In setting up my directory structure/schema I wondering whether or not
certain attributes should be contained in the DN of an entry or just be
another attribute. Take ou or uid for example. In uid's case, I'm pretty
certain I want it in the DN as I want to ensure uniqueness. For ou I'm
less certain.

Can someone provide general guidelines on how to organize the directory
in this and perhaps other regards?  I know there must be pros and cons
of each approach and would rather get it right the first time.

Thanks in advance for you responses.

Bill