Interoperability between different LDAP servers.

Hello ,

      I am planning to develop directory(LDAP)  based application that
      has to run independent of the ldap server that we are connecting
to.
     Can someone help me if there are any interoperability issues
     that are to be considered for doing the same .
     I am using the Netscape SDK for developing the application.
     As far as I have seen in some places I have noticed that the
     applications are independent of the LDAP server as
     Netscape SDK is developed depending on the LDAP-rfc
     rather than the ldap server.
     Any  pointers / links please ...
     Any help is appreciated.

thanks