How to select(2)?

Hello,

in OpenLDAP 1 it was possible, although bad style,  to  take  the
file  descriptor  from  the  LDAP  structure and select(2) on it.
This file descriptor could then be  used  e.g.  as  a  source  of
events  in  an  X11  application.  OpenLDAP  2 defines structures
opaque, which is fine from the theoretical point of view, but I'm
probably  still  to  dumb  to see how I can wait for data on some
file descriptor as well as on the LDAP connection and handle  the
first that has something. Without busy-waiting, of course.

Mit herzlichem Gruss

                                        Andreas Mueller

Dr. Andreas Mueller                 Beratung und Entwicklung
Bubental 53, CH - 8852 Altendorf            <afm@othello.ch>
Voice: +41 55 462 1483             Fax/Data: +41 55 462 1485