Compiling openldap with cyrus-SASL

I am trying to compile the head branch of openldap on a RH 6.2 machine.
I downloaded and installed the cyrus sasl libraries in /usr/local/lib,
headers in /usr/local/include. However, whenever I tried to compile
openldap with sasl support, the configure script would always report
"Cyrus-SASL not found" and abort. Could anyone tell me the options for
this?
It did not matter what options I passed to the script for a path:
/, /usr, /usr/local, /usr/local/lib.

If it matters, this is the only locally compiled package while all
others (including Kerberos) were installed from RPMs

Devdas Bhagat
--
Making files is easy under the UNIX operating system.  Therefore, users
tend to create numerous files using large amounts of file space.  It has