Re: Uid Numbers

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Celine Murphy wrote:

> Does anyone know anyway of enforcing uniqueness in ldap? Or of
> generation uid numbers??

As far as I know, there is no mechanism inherent in LDAP that provides for
unique numbers like an SQL database would. It's up to the application to
ensure that things like uidNumbers are unique.

Personally I keep track of the maximum uidNumber using a special
attribute. Every time a new user is added, it gets incremented.

| Weston J. Bustraan      | E-Mail: weston@itdonline.net     |
| System Administrator    | Phone: (616)249-3630             |
| Infinity Tel-Data Inc.  | Fax:   (616)249-3067             |
| 4723 S. Division Ave.   | WWW: www.itdonline.net           |
| Wyoming, MI 49548       | PGP: finger weston@itdonline.net |

Error #152 - Windows not found: (C)heer (P)arty (D)ance.