Re: Is it working or what is it?

At 12:05 PM 2/4/01 -0800, Omer Faruk Sen wrote:
>Hi.I am completely new to ldap but read Admin Guide
>2.0

You likely should read some general LDAP documents,
see the FAQ for pointers.

>anyway I have installed ldap with ./configure
>--prefix=/usr/local/ldap and made "make test" I have
>seen in test sequence that I have the support of
>LDAPv3 that means I have cyrus-sasl and openssl
>package.

Listing of 3 in supportedLDAPVersion indicates support
for LDAPv3.  Though full LDAPv3 supports requires
implementation of SASL/DIGEST-MD5, slapd will report version
3 support even if not currently available.

See supportedSASLMechanisms for a list of currently
supported SASL mechanisms.  See supportedExtension has
1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.20037 as a value to see if Start TLS
is supported.

>I havent used --with-spasswd and
>--with-cyrus-sasl (but I think that option is used
>automaticly).

auto means that configure won't stop if it's not found.
configure will, however, complain.

>I have added an ldap user and group to my system for
>sec reasons.And have started slapd with this option:
>
>/usr/local/ldap/libexec/slapd -u ldap -g ldap -f
>~ldap/etc/openldap/slapd.conf -d 255
>After that I have made a query as explained in admin
>guide 2.0
>
>ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)'
>namingContexts
>and get this result version: 2

That's the LDIF version, not the protocol version.
2 is experimental and unspecified, use -L to get
LDIFv1 (the proposed standard).

>namingContexts: dc=ofsen,dc=2y,dc=net
v.
>namingcontexts: dc=ofsen, dc=2y, dc=net

Those are the same DN.  The spaces after the separator
are ignored.  The server strips them as RFC2253 states
that generated DNs shouldn't contain the extraneous
spaces.

>What might be problem?

You're input is invalid.  The suffix should be an LDAPv3
DN and hence should not have spaces following the RDN
separator.

I should fix the example slapd.conf not to have these
extraneous spaces.

Kurt