Re:

At 07:52 AM 2/1/01 -0500, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>this is an OpenLDAP list, not a M$ exchange list...

Come now... he obviosuly usng OpenLDAP ldapsearch(1) and the
question he has is why doesn't ldapsearch(1) show the
the expected result.  This is ON TOPIC in my opinion.

At least in regards to the -P 3:
The answer is that the value contained values which ldapsearch(1)
assumes is not printable by the terminal.  Most terminals cannot
handle arbitrary UTF-8 characters.  For this reason, ldapsearch(1)
presents the value in base64.  This is indicated by the "::".

In regards to -P 2, ldapseach(1) does the same but here your
server appears to have actually replaced the character with '?'.
Likely the server is not able to transliterate between UTF-8
and T.61, the expected character set.

Kurt