Re: Security-Authentication??

Hi

In this connection I would like to give the example of Netscape
Directory Server installed in my organization. When a user wants to
access his entry , he is prompted for login name and password.
The way the user is granted login to his database is probably the
uid is prepended to the base DN , to make up the DN for that user,
in the following manner :

dn:uid=xyz,dc=alpha,dc=example,dc=com - password being whatever
password user supplies. Assuming that the base DN is dc=alpha,
dc=example,dc=com

There is a mention about this in the Netscape Directory Server
documentation.

There could also be another mechanism by which OpenLDAP server
'serves' the /etc/passwd database - I am not sure how it works .

Hope this helps and not entirely irrelevant to the question .

Thanks
Hari