Re: Users from /etc/passwd, passwords from LDAP?

   Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:48:27 -0800 (PST)
   From: "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@acm.org>
   Subject: Re: Users from /etc/passwd, passwords from LDAP?
   To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org

   > (likely nss_ldap takes as a parameter a search filter).

   I bet you are right, but I could find neither FAQs nor archives of their
   list.  Anyway I have asked the question on their list now.  Thanks.

You could have mailed to majordomo@padl.com with ``index listname'' in the
message body to see files in their archives and get necessary ones.

For the original problem, one can create different OUs for different hosts
and create users under these OUs, and specify search base on each of the
hosts accordingly (in /etc/ldap.conf), e.g., having two hosts foo and bar:

# DN of the search base for host foo
base ou=foo,ou=students,dc=university

# DN of the search base for host bar
base ou=bar,ou=students,dc=university