Re: Backends

Tomas Maly wrote:

> How do the various backends work? I am wondering if the shell, passwd,
> or ldap backends would be of any use, but am not sure how they work. Can
> anyone please explain them or point me to the right place? Thanks.

ldbm is the built-in database, which is stored on dbm-like files.
ldap is a proxy backend, namely a backend that allows one server
    to return the contents of another one
shell,tcl,perl are shellish backends - they provide a reliable conversion
    of ldap operations into popular scripting languages, to allow a very
general
    and loose implementation of meta-directory operations
passwd implements a very simple view of /etc/passwd data in ldap form
    (work is underway to make it more complete, follow thread
    http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200012/msg00047.html)
sql is an interface to sql databases via odbc, so that data can be viewed
in
    form of a directory tree with ldap entries. It is intended to access
    existent rdbms in case you want the sql and the ldap information to be
    consistent and accessible simultaneously.
dnssrv is a little obscure to me. It turns a dns-like search into the
naming
    context of an ldap server if available (please, help me ...)

Bye, Pierangelo.