ldapsearch -x... flag not recognized

I am using openldap for linux 7.0, according to the example in the doc
OpenLDAP 2.0 Administrator's Guide >> 2. A Quick-Start Guide >> 9.Start

when I run the following command:
ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts

from my command prompt I get an error with the following message:
ldapsearch: invalid option -- x

is this flag deprecated and if so is there a work around?

if I run the command w/o the -x flag I get the outptut::

whereas the output from the exmaple says:
          namingContexts: dc=example,dc=com

Am I being over paranoid?

thx in advance,

Courtney Hall