openldap attribute mapping

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a Web front end ( Web500gw v 2.1 ) to an openLDAP
server ( v. 1.2.11) . The basics are there but I'm having trouble with
searching. The Web gateway produces queries using filters of the form:

(&(objectclass=person)(cn=brown))

whereas the LDAP server only seems to understand:

(&(objectclass=organizationalPerson)(commonname=brown))

The question is: is there a way to map between these different sets of
attributes (e.g. person/organizationalPerson, cn/commonname).

Thanks in advance,

-ian.
P.S. sorry if you're already seen this - I missed the subject off the original posting.
Ian C. Smith,
e-mail: i.c.smith@liverpool.ac.uk
Address: Computer Sevices Department,
Brownlow Hill Building - room G11,