more authentication questions..

I have read some of the threads about authentication, particularly this one form september 2000:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200009/msg00180.html called "SASL docs?"

If I understand correctly, I currently have to maintain my password list twice -- once in the SASL db, and once in the LDAP db.  (Kurt seems to allude to a future where SASL can use the LDAP db http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200009/msg00186.html)

So if the above is true, has someone come up with a method so that when a user updates his password in LDAP, the password gets updated in SASL?  Or is that a 2.1 feature?

And as long as I am asking questions, is anyone currently working on doing a complete dump to a replicated server rather than transferring db files (which doesn't work so well when your linux box uses gdbm, and your bsd box uses dbm, etc...)

Thank you.