ldap module and squid

can i get some help with a problem using squid_ldap_auth and squid on solaris8?

if so, my squid.conf authenticate_problem points to squid_ldap_auth but nothing happens. the squid authentication window pops up, same as when i'm using pam_auth, yet username and password entries return authentication failed.

is there a command-line test i can do against my ldap server to troubleshoot this?

i've edited the .c file for its searchbase as this:

#define SEARCHBASE "ou=person,dc=pelican,dc=adtest,dc=com"

recompiled and copied to squid path as defined in squid.conf. shutdown and restarted squid.

here's entries from my access.log.

978986290.408 95 146.238.11.151 TCP_DENIED/407 1390 GET http://home.netscape.com/ - NONE/- -

978986306.233 10 146.238.11.151 TCP_DENIED/407 1390 GET http://home.netscape.com/ kcrxf00 NONE/- -

978986415.450 11 146.238.11.151 TCP_DENIED/407 1390 GET http://home.netscape.com/ kcrxf21 NONE/- -