The test doesn't work!

I built the openLDAP 1.2.11 (stable) software using ./configure without
parameters or options (I have no idea what to specify).

The compilation and installation work without problems; but the test gives
me some errors.
The output of the test is as follows:

ln: ./data: cannot overwrite directory
make: [all-local] Error 1 (ignored)
Initiating LDAP tests...
running defines.sh . ldbm
Datadir is ./data
Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Using ldapsearch to retrieve all the entries...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
ldapsearch failed!
make: *** [all-local] Error 1

When I run the slapd demon with my slapd.conf file, the system doesn't give
any message, but if I try to use the LDAP server with commands like
'ldapsearch' or 'ldapadd', the result is a 'ldap-bind' error.
Please, help me!
Gianluca