Problems with openldap in Solaris 2.7

Hi

We have installed openldap 2.0.7 in several Linux ans Solaris boxes. While in
Linux it runs very well, under Solaris 2.7 we had two main problems:

1) slapd doesn't generate logs via syslog. I tried defining several local4
facilities in syslog.conf, and using -l syslog-local-user flag in the
invocation of slapd, but I got no log via syslog.

2) Before compiling openldap, I modified the file include/ldap_defaults.h,
changing:
#if 0
    /* dn of the default "monitor" subentry */
#define SLAPD_MONITOR_DN        "cn=Monitor"
    /* dn of the default "config" subentry */
#define SLAPD_CONFIG_DN         "cn=Config"
#endif

with:
#if 1
    /* dn of the default "monitor" subentry */
	.
	.
	.

With slapd running I execute:
ldapsearch -s base -b 'cn=monitor' 'objectclass=*'

and I get:

version: 2

#
# filter: objectclass=*
# requesting: ALL
#

ldap_result: Can't contact LDAP server

Then, slapd silently dies. I really have no idea why it does so.

Could you give me any help to solve this problems?

Thanks in advance

Edgardo Szulsztein
Pert Consultores S.R.L.