Importing an LDIF file

Hello all,

I have installed OpenLDAP 1.2.9-6 (from an rpm file) onto a RedHat 6.x
system.  Everything went well until I had to import the LDIF file that
contains the employee information for the company.  It seems that regardless
of what I try, it continues to fail, displaying the message

  "ldapadd: invalid format (line xx of entry: o=<domain>,c=US"

(I find it interesting that there is no closing parenthesis, but that's
probably just a minor goof.)

The ldif file in question is created on a Windows NT box and then
transferred over to this RedHat system where it's supposed to be imported
nightly.  I initially believed that the root of the problem lay in the fact
that the ldif file is created on a WinDoze system, but I've used two methods
to ensure that all of the CR/LFs were translated to simple LFs (using
search-&-replace in a binary file viewer/editor and sending the file through
the 'tr -d "\r"' command).

I could certainly go through the file by hand if it were smaller, but
'wc -l' shows me that it's 3,927 lines long - & doing that daily is
impractical to say the least.

Any guidance/suggestions would be *most* welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Tim K.