LDAP Related

Hello all,
	I'm newbie to LDAP. These days I'm working to provide security to
the application servers(web, e-mail, file, ... servers) thru LDAP. So in
this context, I've here a basic set of questions on LDAP.

   *	What are the main applications of LDAP?

   *	How can I provide security thru LDAP? (Authentication
implementation details)

   *	If a client sends the http request to a web server what must I do
in order for the web server to contact the LDAP server?(Automatically)

	Any help in this direction is greatly appreciated. Thanx in
advance.

with regards,
vivek(IIIyr - BTech)
vivek		 	  	.~.
vivek@iiit.net 	   	  	/V\         L   I   N   U   X
IIIT           	               // \\  	 >Don't fear the penguin<
HYDERABAD      	              /(   )\
           	               ^^-^^
  Do not dwell in the past,  		|  Scandisk is now checking
  do not dream of the future,           |      your hard disk.
  concentrate the mind on the 		|   You can start praying.
  present moment. -- Budha              |