RootDN issues...OpenLDAP vs Netscape Directory Server

Hello All,

I've got identical directory trees loaded into both OpenLDAP 2.0.7 and Netscape DirectoryServer 4.1. The trees do not contain a physical entry for the rootdn. Both use suffix "dc=xyz,dc=com".

When both use a rootdn of "cn=Manager,dc=xyz,dc=com", my client binds to this rootdn on both servers without problem.

When I instead try rootdn of "cn=Manager", my client can bind to Netscape, but not to OpenLDAP. Does OpenLDAP insist that the rootdn be pathed in under the suffix dn ?

Any thoughts on this ?

Cheers,