Failed to bind error

I am running openldap-1.2.9-6 on RH6.2.  When accessing
the database from within our network, all is well and
with Mac, Windows, Linux, SGI, and SUn netscape clients,
binding to the server and executing lookups is fine.

Outside the network, however, on all netscape client
platforms, we receive a "Failed to bind to 'CABM' due to
LDAP error 'Unknown error' (0xFFFFFFFF).

Any ideas on why this fails - what can I check/test?
thanks,
Shelley Waltz

Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine (CABM)
679 Hoes Lane
Piscataway, NJ 08854-5638
phone: (732) 235-3346