Backend-shell question

Hi, I've been trying to get my shell program to work but to no avail. My
slapd.conf is as follows:

include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
database        shell
suffix          "dc=test, dc=com"
search          /usr/local/ids/bin/search.pl

And whenever I do a LDAP search, I get the following from slapd:

[root@asswipe /root]# /usr/local/libexec/slapd -d 4
daemon_init: <null>
daemon: socket() failed errno=22 (Invalid argument)
slapd starting

connection_get(9)
send_ldap_result: 0::
ber_flush: 14 bytes to sd 9
connection_get(9)
SRCH "" 2 3    100 60 0
    filter: (|(mail=TEST*)(|(cn=TEST*)(|(sn=TEST*)(givenName=TEST*))))
    attrs: display-name cn commonName mail otherMailbox givenName sn surname
st c co organizationName o ou organizationalUnitName URL homePhone
facsimileTelephoneNumber otherFacsimileTelephoneNumber OfficeFax mobile
otherPager OfficePager pager info title telephoneNumber l homePostalAddress
postalAddress streetAddress street department comment postalCode
physicalDeliveryOfficeName initials conferenceInformation
userCertificate;binary userSMIMECertificate;binary labeledURI Manager
Reports IPPhone
send_ldap_result: 10::
ber_flush: 14 bytes to sd 9
connection_get(9)
send_ldap_result: 53::unbind not implemented

It seems that slapd is returning ldap_result 10 (referral) without even
executing my search script! (i tested it by making my search script write to
a file, which in the end it didn't as it wasn't even executed)

someone please help!