Re: Greatest value (or unique id?)

Do you really need a maximum value?
If you are just trying to give
each user a unique id then try this:

pick a random start value;
while ( an ldap_search shows that value is already in the directory ) value++;

This will generally succeed first time
(and only do one highly-targeted LDAP operation).

DH

At 21:32 22/11/00 -0500, weston@itdonline.net wrote:
I ran into this same problem. As far as I know, there is nothing intrinsic in
OpenLDAP that provides for auto-incrementing numbers or searching for the
maximum value, like SQL does. Although, I may be wrong. Here's some pseudo code
for the rather inefficient way I ended up solving this problem. (it's close to
something I wrote in PHP)

ldap_search( uid=* ) //find all entries
new_uidnumber = count(results) + 1 // add 1 to the total
while ( ldap_search( uidnumber=new_uidnumber ) )
      //loop and increment until the new number does
      //not match an existing entry
      new_uidnumber++
//Use new number, confident it is unique....

Now, this is probably really dumb code, but it works for me. If anyone has any
other suggestions, please let me know.

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/