Inappropriate Matching error when modifying facsimileTelephoneNumber attribute

Hello all,

I am working on an LDAP address book for my webmail project, and I am running into a
little problem with the facsimileTelephoneNumber attribute.  When I try to delete
the facsimileTelephoneNumber attribute vi a PHP script using the ldap_mod_del
function, I get the error:

Warning: LDAP: modify operation could not be completed.
in /home/httpd/html/ldap/modify.php on line 62
LDAP-Errno: 18
LDAP-Error: Inappropriate matching

This is an LDAP error (18)  that I can verify in my server log files.  I am running
OpenLDAP 2.0.1 and PHP 4.  This does not happen with ANY other attribute that I am
using.  I can delete all other attributes just fine without any problem.  The
schemas I am using are the core.schema, cosine.schema, and inetorgperson.schema.

I have searched for a meaning for this message on Google and Deja.com, but could not
find much information.  Do any of you have ideas (or URL's) that could help me out
with this problem?

Thanks!

-Mark Cushman
http://cushman.net/