maximum number of entries and attribute type not defined problem

i would like to know the maximum number of entries that openldap can have.
 this independently of the size of my disk.

so, i  use a LDAP  client (not Openldap) and a server slapd (openldap) and when
i want to create an entry, an error occurs: attribute type not defined (Ldap client use  ldap_add  to create the entry), but when i use ldapadd on the server with the same entry, there s no problem: the entry is created.

I use a BerkeleyDB database and openldap 2.0.4

tkanks in advance

benoit