SASL problem (newbie)

Sorry to bring this up yet again.  But it's getting late here, and I'm
fading fast.

I migrated to 2.0.6 on Linux.  When I go to add my data back in, I get the
well-known:

	ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute

The search for supported mechanisms yields:
ldapsearch -x -b "" -s base supportedSASLMechanisms
version: 2

#
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: supportedSASLMechanisms
#

#
dn:

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1
So, I either need to do something with SASL (add a user to the sasl db)
or go back to the "old" simple authentication that I had been using in 1.2.

	1. Can somebody run down the SASL stuff for me or point me to a FAQ or
something?
	2. Tell me how to use the old style authentication as a fallback /
temporary fix?

Thanks, and again, I apologize for the rerun.

Steve