slapd complaint at startup

Hi,
When I fire up slapd 2.0.6 on my HPUX 11.0 box, I get the following
message in my syslog right away:

unable to open Berkeley db /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.1: Is a directory

What on earth is it trying to do, and how do I get rid of this complaint?
This directory is where all of my Berkeley db libraries, includes, etc
are installed.  I've searched the source code and the mailing list
archives; I find no mention of this problem and I don't see where it
is coming from in the source code.... Help!

--- Jeff Earickson