Re: reliability of LDAP lookups

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

> Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> >
> > > I use an OpenLDAP server to check whether or not a user can send mail
> > > outside of the company. Actually, there are a set of replicas of the
> > > main
> > > server that are used for many different purposes, so it happens they are
> > > very
> > > busy, so sendmail hangs waiting for reply and eventually times out.
> > > For those who are not familiar with LDAP API, a client can be configured
> >
> > Seems to me you are searching on non-indexed attributes. As I understood
> > from various postings it will make a very significant difference in speed.
>
> Actually, it's not! It's more like a bug than a performance problem, but it
> happens
> very often that one server for a while is kind of hung: it still accepts
> connections,

Performance of OpenLDAP 1.2.x is not too well. There were some messages
explaining why it occurs and there is no fix for 1.2.x available. The
problem is that threading of OpenLDAP 1.2 does not work with Linux.

This shouldn't be a problem with 2.0 but migrating from 1.2 to 2.0 may
bring it's own set of problems. (Note: I say MAY and not WILL.)

I suggest you see if you can give 2.0 a try as well.

Hugo.

hvdkooij@caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Quoting this tagline is illegal! (http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html)