Re: free/non-free ladp servers comparizon

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 10:02:45AM -0400, Cliff Friedel wrote:
> > Search Rate test with one client (Operation/sec):
> > Open LDAP on Linux           => 4.5
> > Active Directory on Win 2000 => 999
>
> I can tell you for a fact that we are seeing higher results than that with
> no caching.  We are running an ISP and using LDAP for authentication
> (using OpenLDAP) and are seeing 5-10 connections a second (at least
> according to the logs).  I really expect seeing even more than that.  As
> for AD, I really would like to see that.  I find it hard to believe a
> company like Novell, for example, would use OpenLDAP in its deployment of
> Netware 5.1 if AD was 200 times faster.  I think the tests were bought and
> paid for by the Gates Collective.

I'm glad to hear some feed from people that use OpenLDAP in the real world.
I wouldn't say that the test was bought, but metric is not a trivial science and
the results depend a lot on who made the test. If someone has another
chart/comparison about OpenLDAP to AD, or any commercial product, I'm interested
as well.

Regards,