Re: LDAP update

At 09:22 AM 10/19/00 -0700, Ching-Liang Tseng wrote:
>I would like to know the following two issues,
>-- Does LDAP lock whole table (directory) for adding or deleting an
>entry?

No.  The parent of the entry and the entry itself is locked
during add/delete operations.

>-- Does LDAP lock record (single entry) only for modifying an
>unindexed attribute?

The whole entry is write locked during the modify regardless of
which attributes are being updated and which indices have to be
maintained.  This provides the entry level atomicity required
by the LDAP/X.500 data model.