slurpd connected to loopback (1.2.11)

  I arrived at work today to find that one of my slurpds had gotten a
bit confused the previous evening and connected itself to loopback
rather than the remote server. This was, quite distinctly, not a good
thing. I would cast suspicious eyes at the DNS servers but for the
default cases in open_ldap_connection which oblige you by doing just
this.

  Is the NULL-argument-to-loopback functionality used by anything
internally, or is it purely for applications convenience and can I
safely dyke it out for a slurpd build?

m.