server side chasing of referrals

Although OpenLDAP 2.0.6 does not support server side chaining of referrals,
are there any plans to add this functionality in the near future?

In addditon, I was thinking of adding some basic server side referral
chasing to slapd and wondered if anyone had done anything similar so I could
get a head start.  Basically, I have a couple of slapd processes running on
the same machine and multiple namingContexts that I want to glue together
without having to send referrals back to the client.