Adding administrators to LDAP

What is the best way to add System Administrators to the LDAP server?  I tried
using the following group and adding cn=sysadmin,ou=Group,dc=nowcom,dc=com to
a couple ACL's with write privileges, but that didn't seem to work.  What I
want to do is to be able to add something like the following group and just
add cn=sysadmin,ou=Group,dc=nowcom to the ACLs.  If I do use something like
the following, how do I bind?  Do I bind with
uid=jhoot,ou=people,dc=nowcom,dc=com or do I bind with cn=sysadmin,etc..etc..
and just use the passwd from my uid user?

[jhoot@plastic scripts]$ ldapsearch -D cn=manager,dc=nowcom,dc=com cn=sysadmin
-W
Enter LDAP Password:
cn=sysadmin,ou=Group,dc=nowcom,dc=com