Empty Directory String - is it legal?

Hi -

I'm trying to get Microsoft NetMeeting working with openldap, and I've
pretty much done it (using the shell backend), but I've still got a few
linguring issues.  I need to create a schema and don't have Microsoft's
definitions.  Two of the attributes (comment and location) can be left
blank, in which case the client will send them to the server with a
zero-length value.  I've tried using Directory String for the syntax,
but the server barks at the zero-length values.  So...

1. should Directory String take zero-length values?  There's nothing in
RFC 2252 to suggest that it shouldn't.

2. should I use Octet String instead?  The app never does searches
against this attribute

3. should there be a server option to turn off the rigid syntax checking
and just make these things warnings instead?

--
                                        -bwb

                                        Brent Baccala
                                        bacccala@FreeSoft.org