Re: Openldap 2.x but still no roaming profiles

At 09:59 PM 9/17/00 +0200, Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl wrote:
>On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>> As far as Netscape Roaming interoperability goes, I suggest you
>> redefine (with new OIDs) each attribute type of binary syntax
>> to be octetString syntax.  This is likely what Netscape meant
>> all along.   As I noted previously, arbitrarily mapping old
>> 'bin' to binary does make sense.

BTW, I meant "does NOT make sense".  Anyways, you appear to be
on the right track.

>Ok. So in order to provide a schema file for OpenLDAP I would take the
>following steps:
>
> 1. Get myself an OID assigned.
>
> 2. Rewrite the schema file
>
> 3. Test, test and test some more untill I know it works perfectly.
>
> 4. Document the steps involved including slapd.conf, LDIF examples and my
>    own schema file.

This sounds like reasonable steps for developing an alternative
schema specification.

>Or
>
> 1. Change the schema file so it will deviate from the one from Netscape.
>
> 2. Keep all quite about it and let everyone fight their own fight.

If you hack someone's schema (as opposed to defining an alternative
schema specification), don't publish it.

>Or try to get some OIDs from a friendly manufacturer.

It don't rightly matter who's OIDs are used... just as long as they
are assigned permanently.

>In case I want to take the first route I just want to make sure we won't
>get loads of similar schema files trying to solve the same issue with
>everyone's own OID's. (I rather not create the 9th identical solution on a
>beaten path. ;-)

Well, the project can help by publishing a single recommended alternative
schema.  However, there will always be some who go their own way (for
a variety of reasons).  That's life.  Of course, I would hope that
eventually the application vendor (Netscape) would step in and offer
an updated, complete LDAPv3 specification for these items.

Discussing your alternative schema specification in a Netscape
specific forum might help prod some action out of them.  [Netscape
is actually fairly responsive in comparison to other vendors].

Kurt