RE: rootDSE

try:
ldapsearch -b "" -s base 'objectclass=*'

this limits the scope of the search to the base DN.  You have
to specify this to get the Root DSE.  I think the crux of your
problem may be that the Netscape server returns the NamingContexts
attribute with the Root DSE.  When you query OpenLDAP, you have
to ask for the NamingContexts attribute explicitly.  Since it's
an operational attribute, this is how it's supposed to be.
If your client looks for the naming contexts without asking for
them, all you can do to make OpenLDAP work for you is change the
client, or change the OpenLDAP server to return the NamingContexts
by default.