Re: Testing new installation

At 12:25 PM 8/31/00 -0500, David Dabbs wrote:
>[root@linuxdev1 openldap]# ldapadd -v -D "cn=Manager, o=foo.com" -W < foo.ldif
>adding new entry "dc=<foo>, dc=<com>"
>ldap_add: No such object

Likely our suffix is not "dc=<foo>,dc=<com>", but "o=foo.com".
BTW, you should trim the "<" ">" from the values (as in the
quick-start guide examples).  I assume you are following
the Quick Start Guide....

>Setting the debug level up, I discovered that this seems to be a failed (bad credentials) authentication.

No.  That would be an "ldap_bind" error, not an "ldap_add" error.

>[root@linuxdev1 openldap]# ldapadd -v -D "cn=Manager, dc=foo, dc=com" -W < initialentry.ldif
>Enter LDAP Password:
>ldapadd: no attributes to change or add (entry="(null)")

Likely bad LDIF.  Make sure each line has no leading white space
(excepting any continuation lines) and that each entry is separate
by an empty line.

>Any suggestions or pointers to docs that would help? I'm certain its operator error. I'm going to dig into the docs now......

Start over.  Follow the steps outlined in the quick start
guide step for step.

For 1.2: http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=172
For 2.0: http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin/quickstart.html

>database        ldbm
>suffix         "dc=foo, dc=com"
>
>dn: dc=<foo>, dc=<com>

And be careful to use a consistent DN for the root of your subtree....

Kurt