questions on replication

Recently, I've set up replication under OpenLDAP 1.2.11.  At the moment,
I have a single slave.

On the master, I have:

    replica        host=slave:389
                   binddn=uid=replica,...
                   bindmethod=simple
                   credentials=secret

And on the slave:

    referral       ldap://master/
    updatedn       "uid=replica,..."
    access         to *
                   by dn=uid=replica,... write

I have a few problems/questions:

  1.  Are the "rootdn" and "rootpw" directives still needed in slapd.conf
      on the slave server?

      By leaving them there, am I allowing the slave server to be modified
      "directly", outside of the replication process?  Is this a good thing?

  2.  If I use the 'ldapmodify' command and attempt to change something on
      a slave server, and I do *not* bind as the updatedn, what result
      should I get?

      I'm expecting to receive a referral, but don't expect 'ldapmodify' to
      chase the referral.  However, I'm getting:

        ldap_modify: No such object

      instead.  If I retry the 'ldapmodify' command and bind as the updatedn,
      then the command is successful.  So the object *does* exist in the
      directory.

--
Thomas J. Pinkl                         738 Louis Drive
Unix Systems Programmer                 Warminster, Pa 18974