Re: If I change my ldbm-api, do I have to convert my files?

> From:  Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net>
> Date:  11 Aug 2000 13:14:05 +1000
>
> Chris Garrigues wrote :
>
> > I thought I'd change my database from db2 to gdbm to see if that solved m
> > problem, but I don't know how to migrate my database if I do so.
>
> 0) stop the server and backup your openldap db directory in case
>    anything really bad happens.
>
> 1) ldbmcat /var/lib/openldap/id2entry.dbb > mydb.ldif
>
> 2) install your new binaries compiled with gdbm
>
> 3) ldif2ldbm -i mydb.ldif
>
> 4) start the server and see what happens

Except for having to rebuild my indices, that was basically it and my problem
seems to really be solved this time (I hope).

So, in summary, what I've done is to rebuild openldap to use both pth and gdbm
instead of linuxthreads and db2, and I've rebuilt my databases.  (or, more
accurately, I'm going to be rebuilding the databases on all my servers through
the rest of the day by hand because I'm kinda scared of trying to automate
this since all my automation stuff tends to rely on ldap working.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.