optimisation

Hi Guys,

Like many people I'm new to LDAP, however I have been running openldap on an
Alpha 1000a on DEC 4.0.

I have imported over 40,000 entries (person's) to the server however now
when our mail servers  do a look up it times out... it just seems to take
ages to retrieve the information. (there are only 40,000 entries in this
ldbm - surely it can take more?)

We installed Netscape Directory Server on the same machine (different port)
and used the same entries and the Mail servers worked fine.

Is there something fundamental which I have forgotten to optimise OpenLDAP?

Will the INDEX command help at all and if so how is it best to use this?

TIA,

Philip Carley.
CMG B.V