Re: 'passwd' update error

> I have compiled and intsalled pam_ldap/nss_ldap on a RedHat6.2 machine.
> When I try to change a user's password against OpenLDAP1.2.11 I get the
> following error. Could you give me some ideas as to what I'm doing wrong
> please!?

> passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module

In addition to this error I am getting the following errors with the
chfn/chsh PERL scripts which is probably related!
Lines 64 and 86 are the same method being called in the two scripts:

$ldap->bind(%bindargs) or die "unable to bind to ldap server: $@";

[root@ldapclnt1 pam_ldap-66]# ./chsh test
Password:
Can't call method "bind" on an undefined value at ./chsh line 64, <STDIN>
chunk 1.
[root@ldapclnt1 pam_ldap-66]# ./chfn test
Password:
Can't call method "bind" on an undefined value at ./chfn line 86, <STDIN>
chunk 1.
[root@ldapclnt1 pam_ldap-66]#

Are these scripts necessary seeing as pam_ldap provides chfn/chsh files
for the /etc/pam.d directory so the usual chfn/chsh commands work and if
so how can I get them to work? I keep getting the following errors!

chsh: can only change local entries; use ypchsh instead.
chfn: can only change local entries; use ypchfn instead.

Other commands like 'finger' work fine!