Re: grrr...why won't this work?

Gregg Carrier wrote:

> OK, so all of these entries have the suffix "o=Lerdorf, c=CA", so they'll be
> handled by the database defined in my slapd.conf, right? The next thing it says
> to do is use ldif2ldbm. Other books I have say to use ldapadd. What is the
> difference between these commands? ie why use one over the other to populate
> the database? Following the tutorial, I enter the following command which seems
> to execute successfully (test.ldif is the above file):
> /usr/local/sbin/ldif2ldbm -i test.ldif -f /usr/local/etc/ldap/slapd.conf

I would personally try using ldapadd. It uses LDAP to add the entries
through the running server.

I also spent 1/2 an hour once with a similar problem and it turned out
that I the directory specified in slapd.conf didn't exist. After adding
the various entries, check to see if the files exist and have grown in

Matthew Geddes
Network Manager
Xavier College
Gawler, SA