Re: Does anybody know the meaning of compiler option -pthread for slapd?

--On 07/16/00 20:49:26 +0900 ynishimura@home.nimc.go.jp wrote:

Dear sirs

I like to know the meaning of compile option -pthread in belows

pthreads are POSIX threads. Threads are lightweight processes. When a thread, or LWP, is created, it shares data memory allocations with it's parents, siblings, and any children it may further create through a very complex mechanism of fine grained locks. The bottom line is that process creation is about 20 to 30 times more expensive than thread creation. Also, is the kernel is fully threaded there is a further performance boost in that the kernel now has multiple access points and not a single door. That's exceedingly important in multi-user OS's like UNIX wheremany different processes/threads belonging to many different applications/users are going to be asking for kernel services at the same time.

-- Rob

gcc -g -O2 -I../../include -I../../include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-L/root/openldap-1.2. 11/libraries -o slapd main.o daemon.o connection.o
search.o filter.o add.o charr ay.o attr.o entry.o config.o backend.o
result.o operation.o dn.o compare.o modif y.o delete.o modrdn.o
ch_malloc.o value.o ava.o bind.o unbind.o abandon.o filter entry.o
phonetic.o acl.o str2filter.o aclparse.o init.o repl.o lock.o suffixalia
s.o schema.o schemaparse.o monitor.o configinfo.o version.o libbackends.a
-lavl -lldbm -lldif -lldap -llber -llthread -llutil -lcrypt -lutil
-pthread

I am making an openldap box with PC running freebsd.
It doesn't have the support of shared library or something like that
because it has floppy version of freebsd and its freebsd is very small.

I succeeded in compiling, test and install openldap for ordinary freebsd
PC. Then I made slapd command compiled with -static option with gcc and
it worked with ordinary freebsd PC.
But, It could not work with floppy freebsd.

What does -pthread option of gcc means for kernel?

Sincerely
Y.NISHIMURA

      _ _ _ _           _    _ _ _ _ _
    /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
   /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
 /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
 \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

 Rob Tanner
 UNIX and Networks Manager
 Linfield College, McMinnville OR
 (503) 434-2558 <rtanner@linfield.edu>