Clarification regarding LDAP replication ...

We are attempting to setup a backup OpenLDAP server to replicate against our main server. Before we proceed, I have a few conceptual questions I could really use some help with:

1) When replicating to a slave, is the slave essentially read-only for end users? If not, then how is synchronization handled?

2) If the slave is essentially read-only for end users, how are modifications made when the end users attempt to change their passwords (such as people located in another state across a slow link)? Do I need to somehow point them to the master for that one change? Or does ldap redirect them itself? Or does it then modify the master?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Tony
* Anthony Brock                                         abrock@georgefox.edu *
* Director of Network Services                         George Fox University *