access control problems

Hi,

I'm trying to add access control rights to various parts of LDAP structure, but no matter what I do I always get an Insufficient access exception thrown back at me.  So, I'm able to successfully establish a connection to the LDAP server but nothing else!  An example of what I'm trying to do is

defaultaccess read
access to dn="profile=*,o=RTA Sydney,ou=SCATS2"  attr=mail
 by self                                                                          w rite
 by dn="role=Administrator,o=RTA Sydney,ou=SCATS2"   write
 by *       read

I have made sure that the password that I supply is an attribute of the "role=Administrator,o=RTA Sydney,ou=SCATS2" entry.  Also, based on what I have found in previous mails my access to .... by .... is all on one line.   Whenever I then attempt to modify the mail attribute, of an entry Insufficient Access.

I have gone through archived mails but I can't find anything which helps me.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Aoife