I need help with OpenLDAP

#pragma lurk off

Warning, I'm a newbie to LDAP.

I am setting up an OpenLDAP server on a current version of RedHat Linux and
have run into an "invalid credentials" issue that will not go away, any
help in this matter would be appreciated.  Everything is fairly default,
and still doesn't want to work.  The server cannot be accessed from the
outside, but can be accessed internally.

my slapd configuration file looks like this:

include    /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.at.conf
include    /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.oc.conf
schemacheck off

pidfile        /var/run/slapd.pid
argsfile      /usr/run/slapd.args

database        ldbm
suffix              "dc=penguin206, dc=tcs, dc=tulane, dc=edu"
rootdn             "cn=Manager, dc=penguin206, dc=tcs, dc=tulane, dc=edu
rootpw            secret
directory        /usr/tmp

my testfile is the default, modified to the system:

dn: dc=penguin206, dc=tcs, dc=tulane, dc=edu
dc: tulane
o: its
objectclass: organization
objectclass: dcObject

dn: cn=Manager, dc=penguin206, dc=tcs, dc=tulane, dc=edu
cn: Manager
sn: Manager
objectclass: person

Any help in getting this up and running would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
David